I’m Dr. Kelly Sonnenfeld, licensed psychologist and enthusiastic advocate of taking down the walls and getting real.
I specialize in helping teens and adults get unstuck from their ‘thing,’ whatever their thing is. Most of us have a thing, whether it’s self-harm, overeating, drinking too much, people pleasing, even avoiding doing the things we know would bring us purpose and joy. Often we learned to do these things in order to survive, to soothe, to connect, or to feel good about ourselves.
While all of the behaviors listed above often function to relieve distress in the short-term, they bring us farther away from our most honest, centered selves. I work best with people who are so sick of being unhappy that they’re willing to make some changes. I can’t change you. You have to change you and I am thrilled to help support you in that. I love helping people build a life worth living, a life that is in line with their values. I see my calling as helping individuals start to like, respect, and even love the person looking back at them in the mirror.
When I’m not at work, you might find me cooking or creating something, enjoying a podcast, or out hiking with my husband and daughter.
You may be wondering, do I know what I’m doing? The answer is yes. You can see my credentials below. Perhaps more importantly, I am a learner. I stay informed of current research, attend trainings, and you can almost always find me reading or listening to a new resource to enhance my therapy skills.
- Licensed Psychologist in the State of Colorado (#4470)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Prolonged Exposure Training with Melanie Harned, Ph.D. (2019)
- APA-approved Postdoctoral Fellowship at Colorado State University-Health Network (2016) specializing in Behavioral Health and intensive outpatient DBT services for recently hospitalized students
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Intensive Training with Behavioral Tech (2016)
- Ph.D. – Counseling Psychology, Colorado State University (2015)
- APA-approved Predoctoral Internship at the University of Illinois at Chicago (2015)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Substance Use Disorders (2015)
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy Externship with ICEEFT (2013)
- Master of Education – Counseling Psychology, University of Missouri (2011)
- Motivational Interviewing Training (2009)
- Bachelor or Arts – Psychology, University of Oklahoma (2009)